Tuesday 28 January 2014

Broken Tears Episode 8

Idris was done with his project work and his supervisor had approved all his chapters, He had defended and now, he was preparing for Law school. He called his parents that morning and told them about it, they were so happy and they prayed for him and told him to bring Maryam to meet them soon. Maryam didn't know he told his parents about her already. He loved her so much and he wanted something permanent with her. Just the thought about her made his heart flip-flop. He had to see her.




      xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx




      Maryam left the hall smiling, she just wrote her last paper for the session, and it was very okay. She walked towards Saffy's department to wait for her. She was relieved to see her walking out of the hall as well, she waved at her to come over. "How was it?" She asked. "It was very okay, I answered all the questions to the fullest." "Good, let's go home. I'll be meeting Idris soon,he says he wants to celebrate my birthday eve with me, maybe take me out or something before the main birthday tomorrow." She told Saffy with a happy smile. "Wow that's so sweet Maryam. Idris really cares about you..." There was an awkward silence between them for while and Maryam tried to reassure her sister; "Don't worry Saffy, Gaffar might surprise you! You'll see!" Saffiyah laughed and they kept talking as they walked home.  




    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx    




     Maryam and Idris talked while she got ready to go out with him, she picked up her make up brush to do some finishing touches; "Where are you taking me to tonight?" She asked; "There's this new place close to school gate where they sell nice dishes, I went there yesterday to check it out. You'll love it, I promise!" Saffiyah came out of the room wearing her nighty. Maryam looked over at her curiously; "Saffy no date for you? Whatsup?" "Nothing jor! Gaffar said he's preparing for a presentation tomorrow, so I'll just stay in and watch movies." Idris looked over at her; "You can come with us o, its your birthday eve too you know." "No dear, you guys have fun. Thanks though." She opened her laptop and turned it on. Maryam finished with her makeup, picked up her bag and left the house with Idris.




    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx  




     "I don't know why we can't get a cab. Let's walk further a little, maybe we'll get bike at least." Idris and Maryam walked for a while,and as Idris was about to flag down a cab,Maryam heard a familiar voice from a joint nearby. She turned; "Idris hold on." She followed the voice; "Guy I swear that chic baaaaaad! I just dey follow the waist as the beat dey go! Mehn! That party rock yesterday abeg! We just dey high anyhow! Shayo dey waste! I even get one party tonight self. Abeg control that chic for me now." And then an unfamiliar voice answered; "why you no collect her number yesterday? You go just dey fuck up anyhow!" "Guy no be so, I just dey carried away. And all of us dey high! Na this morning she commot from my place self. You know as e dey be now!" As Maryam and Idris approached the joint, the smell of weed clouded the air. Idris already knew who they would find, he had seen him countless times getting wasted, and one time he tried to caution him but got shunned instead. As they got to the entrance, he was so surprised at the calmness in Maryam's voice as she confirmed her suspicions; "Gaffar," she said with a sarcastic smile; "How's that presentation prep going?" Gaffar quickly got up and threw the remains of what he'd been smoking on the ground, stepped on it and quickly walked towards them. Maryam held out a hand, stooping him on his tracks; "Say whatever you've got to say from there, don't ruin my perfume." "Maryam err whatsup with you? Errmm see, its not what you think...." "I'm not thinking anything Gaffar, not yet. Does my sister know about this?" She asked, waving her hand around, knowing he understood what she meant by that gesture. He laughed nervously; "Maryam she doesn't have to know you know." Maryam's control snapped; "How dare you! You think my sister is a fool? Listen, you have just one option, come out clean with my sister or I will." With that she turned around and left the place. "Can you imagine that idiot?!" She said to Idris; "that guy is a junkie! I knew it! I tried to talk to Saffy but she wouldn't listen!" "Calm down Maryam, at least now you have proof that he's no good. Just make sure you're there for her when she needs you okay?" "Of course I will. Thanks for bringing me out tonight. I wouldn't have known." "Common Maryam, let's just try and get a cab."    




   xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx    




    Saffiyah rolled over on her bed and opened her eyes. She smiled, it was her birthday. She took a deep breath and stretched. Thoughts of Jamal washed over her, she remembered him saying he would be there to give her a birthday kiss every year for the rest of their lives.  Funny how time flies though. She thought of Gaffar,  then she picked up her phone and dialed his number to wish him the best in his presentation . Her heart thumped when a feminine voice answered; " Hello who is this? "  " This is Saffiyah and who is this? " "This is Gaffar's girlfriend!  Any problem?" There was a little struggling on the other end and the next voice was Gaffar's; " Saffy whatsup?" Saffiyah was pissed.  "Gaffar what's the meaning of this? So you have another girlfriend right? Why??" "Saffy listen uhm... I've been wanting to talk to you for a while now. This.... thing between me and you. .. its not working for me.  I'm sorry you had to find out this way,  I didn't plan for it to happen like this, it's just. .. well l'm not feeling it anymore and I'm very sorry okay.  Take care." Saffy was breathing heavily now, all she could manage to utter was; "what?"... The line went dead. She sat up on her bed, shaking from head to toe., tears burning her eyes and cheeks, she took a very deep breath and with all her strength, she screamed; "Maryaaaaaaaaaaaaaaam!"....

No comments:

Post a Comment