Sunday 23 February 2014

Broken Tears Episode 10

 Thank you all so much for following up on this story from the beginning. Your comments and advices have been noted. I really appreciate that you like my write ups. This is the final episode of Broken Tears and I hope it has been worth it all the way...




Maryam left the office feeling all queasy. She'd been putting some finishing touches to the project they had. She and Saffiyah had been working with their dad's friend at his company ever since they finished their service. Saffiyah had left the office earlier to go shopping. It was their birthday and they just wanted to do something on their own. Idris couldn't be there,he was away on a business trip with some other lawyers,and Dupe was on her way to their house, so she had to hurry and get home so their friend wouldn't be locked out. She shielded her eyes from the sun with the back of her hand. The sun was unusually hot that afternoon, she was scared she was going to get sun burns. She brought out an umbrella and opened it, she couldn't let anything happen to this skin of hers, she cherrished her skin so much! She got into her car, turned on the A.C and sighed, she was going to have a long, cold bath and then lie in the bath-tub for a while. Yeah... She needed that treat! She had been a good girl! She laughed and drove off...




xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx




Maryam smiled as she hung up the phone, Saffiyah was on her way to the airport to pick Dupe up so that gave her enough time to lie in the tub! She felt like a movie star! She hurried to her bathroom, turned on the water and went to her room to take her clothes off. She turned on her deck and played her favourite mix, switched on the A.C, turned off her room light and walked back into the bathroom, by then, the tub was almost full, she stepped in and it felt good. She immersed herself fully in the water and closed her eyes as the coolness of the water soothed her tense muscles.






xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx




"Saffy its so nice to see you! Mum and dad said to wish you girls happy birthday, and I have lots of goodies and your favourite chocolates! Just wait till we get home!" Dupe was so happy she was with her friend once again, after a long time. "My dear I really missed you too! That's why I insisted on coming to pick you up from the airport." They got into the car and headed home as they talked and caught up on what they had missed.




xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx




Maryam opened her eyes, startled. She must have fallen asleep in the tub, the water was warm now. She dragged herself up and stepped out of the tub and a strange feeling came over her. She grabbed her robe, put it on and opened the door to her room, the lights were on! She was so sure she had switched them off! Wande Coal's 'Ololufe' was playing on her deck and that song wasn't on her play list! Someone was in the house! She quickly dried her body with a towel, slipped into a bum-shot and a crop top and walked towards the door, she reached to carry her hand drier incase things got messy. She got a strong urge to call Saffy, but she shoved it off, she didn't want to scare her because she was so sure Saffy was driving home now with Dupe, and what on earth was keeping them long?! She rolled her eyes as she stepped into the hallway leading to the living room. She tiptoed slowly and then she stepped on something and almost jumped. She looked down and saw it was a note,she picked it up and opened it; "Ayanfe..." (The one I choose to love.) She didn't recognise the handwriting as it was designed, she moved on slowly. There were red roses on the floor that made her heart melt. Who could be behind this? Idris wasn't around... So who? She saw another note and picked it up; "Ife mi, Ore mi, Oyin mi." (My love, my friend, my honey.) She laughed softly, "This is crazy!" She thought to herself. She dropped the drier and continued walking, still careful not to make any sound. Another note; "Ever since the day I met you in the plane, you left a puzzle in my heart... Only you can put the pieces together." Okay! It was Idris, but where the hell was he? She was thrilled already, and was blushing seriously. Just at the entrance to the living room, she saw the last note, under a bottle of wine... "What shall we toast to? Your birthday or...?" Or what? She was anxious! Or what? She yanked open the door and half ran-half walked into the living room and all of a sudden the lights came on; "SURPRISE!!!!" Her heart thumped! Everyone was there! Idris, Saffy, Dupe, her parents, Idris' parents, his sister ... Saffy ran forward and hugged her and they stood together, hand in hand as the rest sang happy birthday song for them. After that Idris walked forward, reached for something in his pocket and went down on one knee. Maryam was overwhelmed, she smiled down at him, knowing what he was going to say... He opened the tiny box to reveal a very beautiful diamond ring and held it up to her; "Maryam... I'm almost going ga-ga so I hope you don't mind if I talk a bit faster than normal." Maryam laughed and shook her head as tears rolled down her cheeks. "I might not be the most perfect man that you've ever met, but in every aspect, you get me. I might not be the sweetest person to you but you've added spice to my life, I might not be the most handsome or dashing guy to have your love but my eyes have had the opportunity to behold such extremely beautiful sight through these years, please do me the honour of having all the beauty inside and outside, to myself for the rest of my life... Maryam, will you marry me?" Maryam smiled through her tears; "Yes! Yes my love! I'll marry you! Over and over again!" He brought out the ring and put it on her finger, got up and gave her a long passionate kiss! "Woooooooooooooooooh!" Everyone cheered and clapped and the party started. Just then it started to rain heavily outside and it made the party more interesting! Maryam picked up the wine; "Idris, the toast! So what do we toast to?" She asked. "Oh right!" he answered; "First you girls have to cut the cake, then we'll toast." She quickly dragged Saffy to where the cake was and they were going to cut it on three! Everyone counted; "One... Two..." There was a knock on the door. Maryam sighed; "Now???" Saffy smiled at her; "Don't worry bride-to-be, I'll get it." They both laughed and Saffy hurried to see who it was. She got to the door, opened it and shock had her rooted to a spot...





xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx





He had just gotten into the country two days before. The first call he got was from Debbie, saying she had to speak with him and it was very urgent as she had to confess something to him. He had been confused at first but after he listened to her, it all made perfect sense, he never got to find out what she was doing in his class back in high school. He planned to find his love immediately he stepped into Nigeria but what he heard from Debbie, made it more pressing than it was. Time had past, year after year, making him wonder if he would ever find his jewel. This morning he took the first flight into Abuja, he was going to find her today or die trying! He met with Debbie to get her address, it was her birthday so he went into town to get her something. What was she like now? What did she like? He felt as if he had never met her before! Debbie had told him all he wanted to here, she was still very much single. He got to a store, got a bunch of roses and a black, lovely gown that he knew would fit her perfectly well! He had money, a good job, lots of love to shower on her but still one thing left... His tribe! He couldn't change that, but he didn't want her to have any reason to say No to him again. Not again! He brought out a piece of paper, and wrote something down, when he was done, he handed it over to the store owner; "Please could you be kind enough to help me put down the yoruba version of what's in that note, or please find someone to help me do it. Its a matter of life and death!" The lady collected the paper, read through it, smiled, picked up her pen and wrote down the yoruba version. He was so happy! At least, this would make her know he was really serious about her! As he drove to her place, it started to rain heavily, so he had to drive slowly, as he didn't know the way. He kept stopping to ask people and in no time, he got soaked in the rain as he had to come down to ask for directions because nobody wanted to be in the rain but he had no choice! Finally he got the place, parked, got the flowers and the rest of the boxes and got out of the car, into the rain again, and walked to the door. Once there, he took a deep breath and knocked. His heart thumped loudly as he waited, was he prepared for this? How would she react? Did she still feel the same for him? The thought of Saffy not loving him anymore made his mouth bitter! He looked down at the wet flowers... Would this turn out to be fine? He sighed. And just as he was about to knock again, the door opened and there she was....




xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx




Saffy looked into those eyes, those eyes she never stopped seeing in her dreams, those eyes that once gave her comfort, those eyes that once had pain in them because of her... All those years kept rushing back, she remebered him in school uniform, remembered him taking her further maths, remembered him telling her they would be together forever. Jamal... There he was, so real and soaked from his curly hair to his toes! She looked down and saw flowers, bells went off in her head, then she saw a wrapped box, but she didn't care what was in it. She looked up at him again; say something! Her heart screamed. He reached into his pocket and brought out a paper and started to read the most awkward yoruba message she had ever heard, but she understood; "Ife mi, mi ti n wa e tikpe! Mi de ti ri e ni sin, ma a de ku si bi ti oo ba farabale gbo nkan ti moni lati so! ... Errrmmm..." He folded the paper and took a step closer to her; "Look Saffy, I'm not really good at this. I can't change the fact that I'm from the north. But please you mustn't let tribe decide our fate." He went down on both his knees; "Saffy I have come a long way, I'm probably going to have a mild fever, but I don't care. I am ready to show you that I really love you even if it means going to learn your language, I will!" He stretched the flowers to her and the box, and she collected them. "Happy birthday Saffy!" He reached into his shirt pocket and brought out a small box and Saffy's heart went out to him; "Saffy from today, I want to be there when you wake up every morning, when you go to sleep every night, I want to share every moment with you! I'll be there for you through whatever it is, just name it! Joy, Success, Labour..." The last word made Saffy laugh through tears. "Please I would be really grateful if you let me be the one to give you a birthday kiss every year. Saffy please I want to be the man in your life, for life! I want to be the father of your children. Saffy please I want you to be my wife. When I think about you, the word 'wife' sounds like the sweetest thing in my ears..."
"Jamal..." Saffy sniffed and laughed a little; "I'll marry you, only death can stop me from marrying you! I love you so much Jamal." She pulled him up and he held her very close to his heart. He would never let her go again, not now, not ever! She heard whispers behind her and she heard Maryam telling everyone; "That's the Jamal.. That's the Jamal!" Saffy pulled him into the house and introduced him to everybody. Idris picked up a glass cup and spoon and hit it; "Hear hear! Let's toast! To the newest couples-to-be including myself. May we be happy, and fruitful and live together forever,and I hope forever is a very long time..." "Amen!" Everyone echoed. The twins cut the cake and everyone started to eat and drink and merry. Dupe looked at her friends with so much love in her eyes. She was so caught up in the moment that she didn't know when a guy walked towards her till he touched her waist; "Hey beauty, my name is Mark." He stretched out his hand and she shook him, and then he smiled; "I guess I'm the luckiest guy here tonight, I don't see any ring on your pretty finger, correct me if I'm wrong, you're single."
"Yes I am. My name is Dupe" She smiled. He exaggerated a sigh of relief and continued; "Would you go out with me sometime? Dinner..?.." Dupe smiled again; "Of course..."






xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx



Errrr do I need to add the 'HAPPILY EVER AFTER' part??? *winks* I love y'all *hugs*

No comments:

Post a Comment